Gutters are usually out of your sight but one of the most vital components for any home. It is usually placed beneath the edge of a roof in a shallow trough style for draining off rainwater. Gutters protect your home from flooding, protect your exterior paint, prevent mildew and mold from growing, and improper installation of gutters or no gutters at all can wreak havoc in your homes.
Why is gutter cleaning necessary for your home?
While gutters play a vital role in protecting your homes, it is not nearly enough to simply keep them as it is. Gutters require regular cleaning and maintenance to ensure that there is no clogging and that they are working correctly.
Guidelines to follow when cleaning your gutters
- We would suggest cleaning your gutters in early spring; it prepares your gutters for the heavy summer rains.
- It is best to avoid cleaning your gutter when wet, allow the debris to dry, which makes your work easier.
- Start by cleaning close to the downspout and towards the closed end.
- Use a ladder for better access to the gutter. Always use safety measures while using a ladder.
- Clear out the accumulated debris from your gutter.
- For safety measures, have a bucket with you to put the debris in.
- Use rubber gloves and safety glasses to avoid injuries and for sanitation.
- Remove the downspout strainer and clean it
- A trowel or a gutter scoop is useful in removing compacted debris.
- Flush the gutter after the debris is removed.
- Use a garden hose with intense water pressure to flush the gutter starting from the far end to the downspout
- Avoid contact with water under the roof shingles.
- You can use a power washer for clearing out clogs in the downspout.
- Always check the downspout. If the amount of water going in is more than the water coming out, then the downspout is clogged.
- In that case, you can use a plumbers snake or spray water into the end of the spout to dislodge the clog.
It would be best if you made sure that the gutters are functioning correctly. You can check for leaks and proper water flow. Gutters should usually be a little sloppy to avoid standing water. Adding gutter screens can help you in keeping your gutters clean for more extended periods.